The End of Spring Break...and My Blog Break

How many times I've thought of my little blog in the last few weeks. And my thoughts usually go something like this...

Why in the world do I spend time doing this?

What in the world do I have to say?

Who in the world reads this stuff?

There are so many blogs out there, and mine is just okay. Boy, do I hate mediocrity.

I think I'm having an Ecclesiastes kinda month.

You know, a lot of

"Smoke, nothing but smoke. 
    There’s nothing to anything—it’s all smoke.
What’s there to show for a lifetime of work,
    a lifetime of working your fingers to the bone?
One generation goes its way, the next one arrives,
    but nothing changes—it’s business as usual for old
        planet earth."


And a little of

"Everything’s boring, utterly boring—
    no one can find any meaning in it.
Boring to the eye,
    boring to the ear.
What was will be again,
    what happened will happen again.
There’s nothing new on this earth.
    Year after year it’s the same old thing."


Laundry, nothing but laundry. Cook and clean and do it again the next day. Try to make ends meet, just to do it again the next month. Day after day, it's the same old thing.

Hi. My name is Eeyore.
I'm sure you can't guess, but it seems I've been down in the dumps. I usually love predictability and security, but lately, the monotony of life has been smothering me.

Grace, Grace, Grace. I think I could make that a constant chant in my mind and still never say it enough. Whew, I need grace. Rough times like these are a very clear reminder of how much I need it and how desperately hopeless I'd be without it.

Grace - God's unmerited, undeserved, unearned overly abundant and more-than-enough favor

I think I'm a bottomless pit for grace. Just keep pouring it in and I'll keep drinking it down. I can't get enough, though it is enough. Crazy.

Speaking of grace, you know how I was trying to decide the "focus" of my year. Last year, it was the Year of Humility and now that it's March, it has become apparent to me that 2013 shall from this point forward be known as the Year of Grace.

'Cause I need it and I need to give it.

I was going to write this whole fabulous post about it, but this other super fabulous blogger beat me to it, saving me lots of time and words. So, here ya go.

And last week in Bible study, the Lord spoke another little tidbit about grace to me. He gives us grace for today. As in, not tomorrow or two weeks for six months from now. TODAY. I am so bad about living in today...or living in the present moment. And if I'm not living in the moment where His grace is, how do I expect to find it?

So, for this week, I want to find contentment in the here and now and trust that His grace is sufficient for the moment in which I find myself. And let tomorrow find the grace it needs when it arrives.

.....

If you need some grace in the form of something healthy and pretty yummy and easy, too, here's a little recipe we enjoyed last week before all of our bananas disappeared. And by we, I mean Chris. Because he loves them and tends to eat them up before any of the rest of us can. But it's okay, because I'm always happy when I can make something nutritious that he actually likes and not just tolerates. :)

I added a little to this recipe from Skinnytaste.com.

My version goes like this:

2 ripe bananas, mashed (I used ones that were well beyond eating alone)
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (or I'm sure you could use pecans, too)
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat to 350. Mix it all together. Place 1 tablespoon-sized blobs of your dough on a stone, parchment paper, or greased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes.

I like the fact that they're so easy. It would be even easier if I didn't have a kid allergic to nuts, thus forcing me to decontaminate every surface the walnuts touched and then to worry the rest of the day about him having a reaction. So, if you're free of nut allergies, these are a cinch.

.....

And I will end my less than joyful re-entry into blogging with this good news:

The kids had a great spring break. The big kids got to fulfill their spring break wish by going camping and I got to fulfill mine by not. The perfect combo. They also got to make and decorate sugar cookies in a kitchen that is not mine. Also worked out wonderfully for me.

You could say that I'm not a fun mom. I prefer to say I know my limits...and camping and destroying my kitchen with food coloring and powdered sugar are definitely beyond them. But the pictures make it look fun. And Grandma got lots of fun points with the kids, as usual.


Sam is my kind of cookie maker...as much goes into the mouth as onto the pan.


See how happy they are? And you can't see the mess all over the floor.


I'm so sorry this kid doesn't live with you, because he is constant fun.


Maddie is the child of creative details. She made this lovely, orderly cookie, which made my heart sing. Then she followed it by making one with two layers of thick, fake-blue icing and two layers of food-dye and sugar filled sprinkles that looked about an inch thick each. And that made my heart cringe. Oh, well. No kid is perfect.


There you have it. Another spring break, and another less than stellar blog post, in the books. Though it may seem like vanity of vanities at times, life is good.

"The last and final word is this:
Fear God.
Do what he tells you.
And that’s it." ~Ecclesiastes  

Comments

Popular Posts