I'm Back

Whew! Sorry I was gone so long. I just could not pull myself from my holiday laziness to put two thoughts together. We just completed what are pretty much my two favorite weeks, falling on the tail end of my three favorite months, of the year. It's always a bit of a bummer when it's over. I get so energized and excited around the end of September and it just carries me all the way through Christmas and New Year. And then I slam into a big wall of real life. Ouch.

However, there is a season for everything. A season for excitement and fun and celebration and a season for working and striving and the mundane. How wonderful that we get to set aside a time to give thanks, a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior, and a time to reflect on all God has done in the past year and will do in the coming one. These special times give us that chance to focus and rejoice. But the Lord must know that our bodies and our souls can only take so much turkey and sweet potato casserole and cookies and cakes and fun and relaxation. We need structure and healthy food and self-discipline and hard work. We're just made that way.


It would not do for me and Chris to be independently wealthy and have all the time and money in the world. We would become so lazy!! I have had an extra parent around for 2 1/2 weeks. Talk about wonderful. Chris is so extraordinary at pulling (more than) his fair share around here that I kind of go into a little mini-panic when he has to go back to work. Can I do this? The kids asked yesterday morning who they were going to stay with since Daddy had gone to work. Hello!? Do you not think I'm qualified? Thanks for your vote of confidence.


So, to sum up the days I've been away: I ate, I slept (lots more than normal...boo for the alarm clock), I ate, I Qwirkled, I ate, I spent two days (along with Chris) putting away all the Christmas gifts, decorations, and dirt, I hung out with family and friends, and we all ate together. And then I tried to jump and dance around the house enough to burn off a few of those extra calories. It was all superbly wonderful.


I did get lazy spiritually, though. It seems when the body is satisfied and when leisure time is abundant, my spiritual fire dies down frighteningly fast. This brings me to my New Year's um, resolution - goal - focus, whatever you want to call it.

HUMILITY

Tough one. I'll talk about it more later. Maybe.

This is the lamest post ever. I think I'm still in a sugar and Qwirkle coma and I'm quickly falling behind on pretty much everything, blogging included. I really don't want to put this out there for the world to see, but I'm hoping if I get one totally boring post out of the way, it'll be a little jumpstart to get me going.

Tomorrow is the dreaded REAL LIFE. Kids are in bed, clothes are laid out, and lunches are made. This is my effort to make the morning a wonderful family experience rather than a screaming chaotic madhouse. We'll see how that goes.

One other thing I'm working toward this year, that is completely alien and crazy for me, is feeding my family more "real" food. To be clear, I've never been a fruit roll-up, Poptart, or Hamburger Helper fan, but our menu would make someone at Whole Foods pass out. There are two problems: 1) The thought of this is horrible and overwhelming to me and 2) We are on a tight budget, which means no organic stuff round here. But in an effort to improve yet not overwhelm myself to the point where I throw in the towel before I even get started, we're just making small changes. The goal is less processed foods and foods with lots of ingredients a Rhodes Scholar can't pronounce.

I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe.

I'm off to prep for Real Life Thursday. Glad I have a life to go back to.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts